Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI)
Why take this course?
The rest of the PADI IDC, the OWSI, is the final step in your quest to become a PADI Instructor. This course includes training in PADI systems, standards, procedures, and additional related topics.
See the Instructor Development Course for a full description of the components of the Open Water Scuba Instructor Course.
What do I need to start?
- PADI Assistant Instructor (AI) or qualifying certification from another organization
- Proof of 60 logged dives (100 required to take the Instructor Examination) including experience in deep, night, and underwater navigation
- Medical Clearance attesting to dive fitness signed by a physician signed within the previous 12 months
- 18 years of age
- Provide your own dive equipment that is professional both in appearance and performance
Subsequent to successful completion of the OWSI course, to become a PADI OWSI, the instructor candidate must successfully complete the PADI IE.
See the Instructor Development Course for a full description of the PADI IE.
- IDC Crew Pac
- Recreational Dive Planner (RDP), eRDPml, and instruction booklets for both
Current editions of the following manuals:
- PADI Open Water Diver Manual
- PADI Adventures in Diving Manual
- PADI Rescue Diver Manual
- PADI Divemaster Manual
Want to get started right now?
Want It – Live It – Dive It!